As vegetarians we loved cheesecakes. I think there was a period in our lives when we were baking them almost daily. So obviously I had to make a vegan version, but for a long time I could not find the right ingredients. When we became vegans two and a half years ago there were no vegan cheese alternatives in stores, but in the past year the situation has gotten much better and I found the perfect brand to use for this cake. It's called Sheese. It is very thick just like mascarpone and it's also very nice in sushi.
I first made this cake for a classmate reunion party and everyone said it tasted just like the real thing. Success! :D So take their word for it not mine because I don't really remember how the real thing tastes.
- 200g wholemeal digestive biscuits
- 80g vegan butter (room temperature)
- 510g vegan cream cheese (I used original Sheese vegan cream cheese)
- 300g cashew nuts (soaked for 2-4 hours)
- 200g cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- Zest from 1 small lemon
You will also need
- 23 cm springform pan
- Food processor
Preheat your oven to 170° C.
- Line base and sides of your springform with baking paper. To make the baking paper stick to the sides you can spread some light olive oil or butter one them.
- Place biscuits in a food processor and process until finely ground.
- Transfer them into a bowl and work in the vegan butter with your hands.
- Now spread the mixture evenly into the springform using your hands or the back of a spoon.
- Take the soaked cashew nuts, lemon juice, zest, sugar, vanilla and blend until completely smooth. (you might have to add couple tbsp of water to make the blender work properly)
- If your blender is powerful you can add the vegan cream cheese and blend everything together in smooth mixture. Otherwise transfer everything into a bowl and mix together with a whisk.
- Pour the mixture into the springform.
- Decorate with raspberries or any other fruit.
Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let the cake cool down before you dig in. It's even better after it has been in the fridge for couple of hours.