If you follow our blog you may have noticed that I have been absent for a while. No new recipes. That's because I have been dealing with some health issues for months. And now I have to be on an elimination diet. So no gluten and soy for a while. Fun right? No not really for someone who loves all things gluten and that crispy tofu :D
I have never worked with gluten free flour so these muffins were a happy accident. :D I was surprised that they tasted like regular muffins. Hope you give them a try.
- 70g almond flour
- 70g gluten free oat flour
- 120g gluten free flour blend (I used Doves Farm plain white flour)
- 110g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 25g ground flax seeds
- 25g creamy peanut butter
- 15g light olive oil
- 275g rice-almond milk (or any other plant milk of your choice)
Garnish and filling
- 145g strawberries cut into small pieces
- 190g rhubarb cut into 1cm thick pieces
- 2 tbsp cane sugar (or liquid sweetener)
- Coconut sugar, oats and sunflower seeds for garnish.
- Preheat your oven to 200° C.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cut the strawberries and rhubarb into pieces.
- Place the rhubarb pieces in a pan add 2 tbsp sugar and cook until soft (not mushy).
- Now combine wet ingredients with flax seeds.
- Add wet mixture to dry and mix well, but don't over mix the batter.
- If the batter seems too dry and stiff add tiny bit of plant milk.
- Lightly grease your muffin pan.
- Fill about ¼ of the muffin pan with batter and place couple of pieces of strawberries inside. Then add another layer of batter.
- Now add rhubarb pieces and strawberries on top.
- Sprinkle with coconut sugar, oats and sunflower seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Note: Makes about 10 muffins.